Friday, September 11, 2009

A Bittersweet Day

Today is filled with memories. 


September 11, 1999 - Gill and I met at Just Jakes in Montclair, New Jersey.  We were both at the bar with friends.   Our friends drank a bit too much and starting hitting on each other - that's how we met, both tending to our drunk friends!  It was such a fun night, one that I will never forget.


September 11, 2001 - For the year and a half prior I was privilidged enough to work at Marsh Inc. as a Program Event Coordinator.  I was so proud to have such a prestigious job in such a well-respected location, the 99th Floor of World Trade Center, Tower 1.  When our company downsized in June 2001, my best friend, Rosemarie, and I were devastated that we lost our jobs.

The morning of 9/11/2001 was a blur.  I watched as our beloved towers fell to the ground.  I cried as I mourned the friends and colleagues we had just lost.  I reassured friends of my safety, as I had not made it known to everyone that I had lost my job.  More than anything, I prayed.  I was thankful that Rosemarie and I were spared.  I thanked God that 2 weeks later I was going to be able to walk down the aisle and marry the love of my life.   More than anything, I made a promise to myself that my life would be worth something, that my life was spared for a reason.

September 11, 2009 - I have found the reason.  This morning, Gill and I will go to the doctor, have an ultrasound and find out the gender of our child.  Today we are making new memories.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing story...it's a bit hard to type through my tears!

    I am so glad that you now have a new happy memory to add to the story! Since I know the gender (but will not say), please know thrilled I am for you and Gill (and Patrick & Finnegan, too!). I cannot wait to meet the new addition!

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA!!! I thought you guys were determined not to find out what the gender was! May I know? Email me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jul, SO fill us in....... Hope you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete