Monday, February 7, 2011

Our Bond

Dear Sullivan,

On the eve of your first birthday, I want you to know what an absolutely glorious year it has been. You have brought so much joy to our entire family, and especially to me. Before you were born, I had never experienced such an intense bond. All that changed the moment the doctor placed you in my arms. We nestled closely together and there you stayed for hours (Daddy waited patiently for his turn to hold his son, but understood that you and I had some major bonding going on).

Though friends and family got brief moments to hold you, you made it known that you wanted Mommy. There were times when you were a newborn when I wondered if you would ever want anyone else to hold you, there were times that I was exhausted and my arm had gone numb, but looking back, I'm so glad you held on to me.

The year went by far too fast. While some things were a blur, I could always count on you, Sullivan, being right by my side. People joked that you were a Mommy's boy or that we were attached at the hip, but I believe they were all just jealous, as I had a precious little boy with me at all times.

Now, as you grow older, I watch how determined you are to follow around your big brothers. You want to do what they are doing. You want to play with them, run with them, eat with them, and be one of the big kids. I know it's only a matter of moments before you will not be the baby anymore, but the 3rd part of the team. While I can't wait to watch the bond with your brothers grow even stronger, I know I will crave the days when you and I could not be separated.

So, for now, I will treasure all our cuddles, I will continue to rock you to sleep, I will pick you up the moment you cry and I will try my best to cherish each and every moment with my sweet baby boy.

I love you, Sullivan.
Love,
Mommy





1 comment: