Sunday, August 21, 2011

2 Left Feet

If you haven't noticed, I have a ticker on the left hand side of the blog, counting down the days until the ThunderRoad 1/2 Marathon. I set the goal for myself at New Years and, since then, have been trying to train. The past few months, it has been just a matter of getting up early, running a few miles and trying to get into a groove. My real, 10 week training, begins next Monday.

On Friday morning, I woke up at 5, laced up my shoes, put on my aqua belt, and for some reason, decided to put my cellphone in the spare pocket. It was a good thing I did, because 1.5 miles into my run I took a fall. One minute I was running, enjoying the peace and quiet, and the next I was eating the pavement. After laying on the ground for a few minutes, stunned, I tried to get up and continue the run, but it wasn't happening.

I called Gill, and my knight in shining armor came and got me. When we were home, we examined the damage, which included a lot of blood, scrapes and some serious pain in my right arm. With all 3 boys in their PJ's buckled into the car, Gill took me to Urgent Care and waited in the car with the kids.

Turns out I dislocated my shoulder and chipped a bit of bone on my elbow. This weekend, per doctor's orders, I rested. My sweet boys brought me coffee and flowers to brighten my day.

In addition to showering me with love, my family has also offered me some advice:

Patrick: Mommy, the next time you run, remember not to fall.
Sullivan: "NO"
Finnegan: You can't win the race if you don't know how to run, Mom.

Gill has also offered "wise" advice, some of which should not be posted online, others were hard to decipher between all the laughter.

Long and the short of it, I fell, I got back up, and I am going to continue training for the race. I want to show the kids that you can reach any goal you set -
even if you have 2 left feet.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better!!! Good luck with your training :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your willpower is AMAZING!! You are indeed setting a great example for your boys!

    ReplyDelete