Saturday, August 1, 2009

Memories from a Nursery

When we were expecting Patrick and Finnegan, Gill and I spent hours planning the nursery.  I would design
 (and re-design) the perfect nursery and Gill would execute it.  Actually, Gill would wait a week, knowing I would change my mind, before he started anything.  When we finally had a plan, it was so amazing to see it come to life.  It was the perfect nursery, everything I dreamed of.  I spent hours in the nursery, wondering what it would be like when the babies arrived.  There were many nights that Gill would come home to find me sleeping in the rocker - the nursery was my favorite room in the house.


When Patrick and Finn where finally home and in their nursery, we really enjoyed spending time there.  Every day, after naptime we would read stories, have tummy time and learn together.  In their nursery Finny and Pitty Pat learned to hold their heads up and sit.  The had so many firsts in the room.  I always found it to be such a peaceful and warm place to be and I believe the boys enjoyed it just as much.
Patrick used to guard the toy box from Finnegan - it was an indication of things to come 
(he now guards his "choo choos")
As soon as the boys could pull themselves up, they were looking out the window.  The loved to watch the cars go by, see the neighbors walking their dogs and wait for Daddy to get home.  Now, they say "hi" to the neighbors out the window, most of them by name.
Finn loved his crib - he would greet us every morning with a giant smile!  This past week, Finn has shown us that he no longer cares for his crib.  He has climbed out dozens of times and refuses to stay in!
My favorite part of the nursery was my chair and ottoman.  I nursed the boys for 8 months and we spent hours in that chair together.  After the morning feeding, we would all cuddle up and sleep together for an hour and a half.  
It was the best part of my day.  Now, Patrick and Finn sit in the chair by themselves and have 
no room for Mommy.

Today, we purchased toddler beds for the boys.  Tomorrow, the conversion to a "Big Boy Room" begins.  I don't know how to say "goodbye" to my favorite little room.   There are many parts of me that just don't want to let it go, keep the room as is, keep the babies SMALL and live in Never Never Land.

I will always keep the memories of our wonderful nursery and how much our family enjoyed 
watching my sweet boys grow up in it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jul - you just brought me to tears! I know how much this nursery means to you, but just think about how special it is that the room can grow and transition along with the boys!

    Well, not to mention thay you get to create a whole NEW nursery for baby #3!

    ReplyDelete