Monday, June 8, 2009

Stories From StoryTime

The boys and I have been going to StoryTime at the Charlotte Public Library for over a year now.  
Every time seems to be an adventure.

The first time we went to StoryTime was March 2008.  The boys were only 8 months old and had just started crawling.  While all the other babies were sitting on their mom's laps, my boys tried to explore their new surroundings.  They didn't seem to have much interest in the stories, or the music, but they loved the bubbles at the end of class.

A month later, we were still going to StoryTime once a week, but instead of getting better, the boys seemed to like it less and less.  Usually, they would cry during the music and make quite a scene and then, they would try to scatter and escape the room.  

My favorite StoryTime story is the day this picture was taken.  Across the circle from the 3 of us were 2 little twin girls.  They sat perfectly on their blanket and did not leave the mother.  Attached to their white eyelet dresses were shiny monogrammed paci-clips and at the other end of the clip were bright, shiny, silver rattles.  As quickly as they could, the boys crawled across the room and, before I could stop them, they had grabbed the rattles from the little girls and PULLED!  The clips were attached so tightly to the girls' dresses that they fell face forward onto their blanket.  And there was quite a scene - 2 little girls lying face first screaming, and my little boys sitting next to them shaking the silver rattles (that were still attached to the dresses).  

After that it was "recommended" that we leave....hehe
Now, a year later, we've enrolled in StoryTime again.  This time, we are joined by our good friends, the Parkers, and every Monday morning we are experiencing StoryTime all over again.  

Finnegan seems to enjoy storytime - he enjoys trying to play with the librarians CD player, he enjoys stacking the garbage can, he enjoys trying to get into the utility closet and he enjoys trying to get out the door.  
Every once in a while, like in the picture below, he will stop to sing a song!
Patrick tends to stick very close to me.  Most of the time he sits on my lap, but, if someone leaves the door open, he's gone!  
Patrick does enjoy the stories, especially last weeks' which were all about TRAINS!
I don't know if we will ever get to the point where the boys and I sit quietly and listen to the librarian read, I doubt it.  
But, I enjoy going to StoryTime and I think the boys do as well.  
If nothing else, StoryTime Mondays leaves me with GREAT stories for the rest of the week!


1 comment:

  1. My gosh - it is amazing to see how much they have grown and changed - all right before our eyes!

    Such wondeful and beautiful little men!

    ReplyDelete